In recent years, with the gradual introduction of various natural concept cosmetics, the consumption demand of personal care products containing natural ingredients has continued to grow, and the position of plant extracts in cosmetics has become heavier and heavier, which has also led to various plant extracts. Further optimization in terms of safety and efficacy is required.
The supercritical CO2 extraction technology not only removes acid, decolorizes and deodorizes in the extractor, but also uses CO2 as an extractant to ensure no pollution, no residue and pure natural characteristics. Compared with traditional extraction methods, SFE has great advantages in plant extracts and essential oil extraction applications in terms of plant extract purity, yield, active ingredient content, and color and aroma of essential oils.
(1) In terms of the purity of the extract product: Magnolia is an important traditional Chinese herbal medicine in China, and the most important active ingredients are magnolol and honokiol. Because of its remarkable antibacterial and anti-oxidant effects, it can be used as an active ingredient in foods, health products, medicines and daily chemical products. The traditional extraction process has the disadvantages of low yield, low purity and deep color. Luo Andong et al. used the extract of Magnolia officinalis extracted by supercritical CO2, and after simple refining, the purity of its active ingredients can reach over 98%. At present, the plant extracts extracted by supercritical CO2, such as Polygonum cuspidatum extract, Cnidium extract, paeonol, etc., after simple refining, the purity can reach more than 98%, and the industrial production of these extract products is quite mature.
(2) In terms of improving the yield of extracts: Chinese licorice is the root and rhizome of the perennial herb of Leguminosae, and its extracting components glycyrrhizic acid and licorice flavonoids are the preferred functional ingredients in cosmetics, and the two products are The high price has forced engineers to replace these two products with other materials in some cosmetics. Compared with the traditional extraction method, the supercritical CO2 extraction technology found that the yield of glycyrrhizic acid extracted by supercritical CO2 extraction technology is 8-12 times that of the traditional extraction method, and the extraction yield of licorice flavonoids is also increased by 1-1.5 times. It has laid a solid foundation for the large-scale application of these two raw materials.
(3) In the removal of plant extract odor: Spirulina is rich in protein and a variety of biologically active ingredients, has a good skin care ability in cosmetics, not only has a good emollient, protective effect, and also due to spirulina It has the ability to scavenge and inhibit free radicals, so it can play the role of anti-wrinkle, sunscreen, anti-radiation, freckle and anti-aging. The spirulina extracted by the traditional method has a heavier astringency, and its active ingredient is reduced after deodorization, thereby limiting its deep processing development. The combination of supercritical CO2 extraction technology and other extraction techniques can well solve the problem of removing the astringency without reducing the active ingredients.
(4) Extraction of active ingredients and active substances from vegetable oils: Lu Xuebin et al. used supercritical technology to extract pomegranate seed oil with punicic acid content above 80%. The results indicate that the supercritical CO2 extracted pomegranate seed oil is rich in conjugates. Unsaturated fatty acids, oil-free residue, light color, high nutritional value, etc., to meet the demand for high-quality oils in food, medicine, health care, cosmetics and other industries. The same content of ligustilide, the active ingredient of Chuanxiong oil and Angelica oil, extracted by supercritical CO2 technology can be as high as 70%.
(5) Extraction of volatile oil (essential oil): The extraction of essential oils is generally carried out by solvent extraction, but the application of traditional extraction methods may result in the deterioration of partially unstable aroma components, solvent residues and loss of low-boiling top notes. The aroma of the product. Non-toxic, residue-free supercritical CO2 extraction can simultaneously extract essential oils and special aroma components under room temperature operating conditions. Due to the low boiling point, low molecular weight and low polarity of volatile oils, it has good solubility in supercritical CO2 fluids. Performance, best suited for extraction with supercritical CO2 fluids. The jasmine oil extracted by Zhang Jingcheng and others through supercritical CO2 has a higher yield than the traditional extraction method, and the aroma has natural jasmine floral aroma, the aroma is fresher than usual, and the natural and transvitalizing properties are stronger.
(6) Extraction of natural pigments: With the increasing insecurity of synthetic pigments, the types of synthetic pigments used in countries around the world are decreasing. Natural pigments are not only safe to use, but also have a certain nutritional value, which is very popular among consumers. Taking capsanthin as an example, supercritical CO2 can remove the odor and residual solvent in capsicum oleoresin, and at the same time divide capsicum pigment into red and yellow pigments with less loss, which is obviously compared with traditional de-spicing process. The advantages. Supercritical fluid CO2 extraction technology can also separate other natural pigments such as lycopene, cocoa pigments and beta-carotene.
(7) Extraction of natural antioxidants: Rosemary extract from extracts of rosemary leaves is a highly effective natural antioxidant with higher antioxidant activity than VC, VE, tea polyphenols, and chemical resistance. Oxidants BHA and BHT. Because it is a natural source of plants, it meets consumer demand for clean labels and natural safety. Luo Andong et al. extracted rosemary extract by supercritical CO2 technology , which has high content of active ingredients (carnosic acid, rosmarinic acid), and has anti-oxidation, moisturizing, ecchymosis and skin repairing functions. Excellent additive.
Supercritical CO2 extraction technology not only has a relatively wide application in the cosmetics industry, but also has great applications in other industries, such as processing of various natural antibacterial or antioxidant extracts, extraction of hops, extraction of pigments in the food industry. Etc. In the pharmaceutical industry, the extraction of artemisinin, a new drug against malaria, the extraction of alkaloids, etc.